Padma Bhushan PANDIT KRISHNARAO SHANKAR PANDIT (1893-1989)
Pt. Krishnarao Shankar Pandit of the Gwalior Gharana is acknowledged as a doyen of Hindustani Classical Music. He was born on 26th July 1893. Pt. Krishnaraoji was groomed at a very early age by his illustrious and devoted father Pt. Shankar Pandit, who was a legend in himself and the late Ustad Nissar Hussain Khan.
Pt. Krishnarao Shankar Pandit was noted for his unique and incomparable voice, and for devoting his entire life to the service of music and its propagation among the masses. Panditji trained a number of disciples. He founded a school of music Shankar Gandharva Mahavidyalaya in Gwalior in 1914. He was also responsible for developing an easy & independent notation system. Pt. Krishnarao Shankar Pandit has authored 8 books & his articles on music have been published in various journals & magazines.
Awards & Recognitions
For his immense contribution to the world of Hindustani Classical Music, Pandit Krishnarao Shankar Pandit has been honored time and again by the Indian Government and institutions of repute. Here are a few of them.
- Padma Bhushan – President of India, Govt of India – 1973
- Tansen Award – Madhya Pradesh Government – 1980
- National Singer – President, Government of India – 1959
- Sangeet Bhishmacharya – All World Marathi Sammellan, Bombay – 1989
- Akashwani Award – All India Radio (Being one of the oldest broadcaster of AIR, having broadcasted his inspiring music from all stations of AIR of undivided India)
- Doctor of Music – Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh – 1961
- Shikhar Samman – Madhya Pradesh Government – 1973
- Gaan Maharishi – Jagatguru Shankaracharya Sankeshwar Peet – 1975
- Bhuwalka Award – Sangeet Saurabh – 1982
- Swar Vilas – Sursingar Samsad, Bombay 1971
- Sangeet Ratnalankar – Gwalior State – 1945
- Taan Samrat – Rajgarh State – 1925 Laya Samrat Patiala State – 1923
- Sangeet Visharad – Harvallabh Sangeet Sabha – Jalandhar – 1923
- Sangeet Shiromani – Multan Sangeet Sabha – 1922
- Gayak Shiromani – All India Congress, Ahmedabad – 1921
FELICITATIONS BY PUBLIC & INSTITUTIONS
- On the occasion of his 61st Birthday – Felicitated by the citizens of Gwalior, Bhopal, Indore, Bombay Sagar etc. – 1957.
- Nagrik Samman – By the Municipal Corporation and Citizens of Gwalior – 1959.
Certificate of Excellence – Gandharva Mahavidyala Mandal – Golden Jubilee, Bombay 1952.
- Felicitations by – Pt. Bhatkhande Centenary Celebrations, Gwalior – 1960 etc. Sangeet Research Academy, Calcutta – 1980. Faculty of Music & Fine Arts, University of Delhi – 1986 etc.
- Pt. Krishna Rao Shankar Pandit Prasang’ organised by Bharat Bhawan-Bhopal. A three day festival organised on his personality, works and musical contribution – 16th, 17th & 18th November 1985.
AWARDS, TITLES & MEDALS
- From the erstwhile States: Satara, Rajgarh, Bharatpur, Baroda, Patiala, Nabha, Kashmir, Mysore, Lucknow, Gwalior, Rampur, Nepal, etc.
- Felicitations by the National Leaders: Lok Manya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Rashtrapita Mahatma Gandhi, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Sarvapalli Radhakrishna, Sh. V.V. Giri, Smt. Indira Gandhi, Sh. Moraji Desai, Sh. Rajiv Gandhi, Jagadguru Shankaracharya etc.
Besides this, Panditji was a freedom fighter and an invitee to the All India Congress Sessions every year where he used to inspire the masses through this music.
- State Musician of the erstwhile State of Satara (Maharashtra) 1911-1912, Gwalior twice from 1926 to 1935 and since 1936 up to death.
- ‘Emeritus Professor’ – Madhav Music College, Gwalior – 1947 till death.
- ‘Producer Emeritus’ – All India Radio and Doordarshan 1981-1984
- Fellowship from Education and Cultural Ministry, Government of India- 1980.
All India Radio Archives, New Delhi, Various Stations of All India Radio, National Centre for performing Arts Bombay, Columbia – 78 RPM recordings, L.P. recording HMV, H.M.V. Cassette recordings, Madhya Pradesh Kala Parishad, Faculty of Music & Fine Arts – Delhi University, Sangeet Natak Academy, Disc recordings prepared by Seth Laxmichand of Karachi in 1934, “Great Tradition” Master of Music, L.P. recording of H.M.V. Released in The Festival of India 1986. Its first disc was presented by Hon’ble Prime Minister Sh. Rajiv Gandhi to Panditji himself, Recordings available with different institiutions, music lovers and connoisseurs of music.
‘The Great Masters’ produced by Doordarshan – 1984 , Documentary film by the Films divisons “Pt. Krishna Rao Shankar Pandit” – 1987, Bharat Bhawan – Bhopal. A Photo exhibition on life and works of Panditji by information and publication division of Madhya Pradesh Government.